- Posted by agency-it
- On February 15, 2017
- 0 Comments
Though you may not be happy about a burst pipe, at least you know immediately that you have a leak and will need water leak restoration services. But what if you cannot detect a water leak that’s happening? What if the slow drip of water is within a wall or under a floor and you have no idea?
Signs of an Invisible Water Leak
Two signs may hit you before you see anything suggesting a hidden water leak: odor, and humidity. If you come home after an extended time away and notice a smell of mildew, water from a leak may be standing inside a wall or between your subflooring and finished floor. If your Mesa-area home suddenly seems humid, a small leak may be adding gallons of moisture to your air.
Other signs to observe without even using your eyes:
- Sounds — Everything in the house is turned off, yet you still hear water, like the sound of a toilet running
- Touch — Walls, carpets or floor feel moist, spongy or actually wet, even when nobody has spilled anything
Water and Your Wallet
Invisible leaks, such as with a pool line, hose bib, or within a wall, can add up to a lot of wasted water. You will see a warning sign in your water bill and at the water meter. With all the faucets off, if the water meter is still turning, you have a leak. If your water bill climbs over weeks or months, you may have a leak.
Obviously, a strong sign of a water leak is something you can see, even if you have no direct evidence of a water leak:
- Baseboards and moldings curling away from the wall
- Door frames swelling, making closing the door difficult
- Peeling paint or wallpaper
- Light brown stains on white ceilings
- Walls that appear to “sweat” or show water condensation
- Darkened grout in the bathroom or blotchy mold around baseboards and in corners
Water can leak in lines leading out to your pool, too, weakening the earth and your home’s foundation. Look for cracks in concrete, spongy spots in the yard, weakened pool tiles, or inexplicably fast grass growth.
EHS Restoration, serving the Phoenix area 24/7, is only a telephone call away at 480-306-5777. When your Phoenix-area home has a water leak, contact EHS Restoration immediately – day or night. Ask about our water damage restoration service in Mesa, Arizona, too.