Signs of Mold in Your Home
- On February 23, 2018
Precisely because few Arizonans would expect toxic mold in their “dry” desert homes, signs of toxic mold often go overlooked. As a premier water restoration company operating in and around Phoenix, we have first-hand knowledge of the symptoms of mold in the houses we service. As a public service, we want to share with you the signs of toxic mold in your home, so you can take steps early on to eradicate this menace.
Signs of Mold in Your Home
The toxic black mold, the kind that requires treatment by professionals, is Stachybotrys chartarum, which appears greenish to black on most porous surfaces, such as:
- Cellulose (newsprint, wallpaper, drywall, and wood)
- Fabric, upholstery, and curtains
- Linens, toilet paper, and bathroom towels
- Interior underside surface of roof sheathing (plywood or oriented strand board)
- Black mold cannot grow on tile or concrete. It will not grow on metal pipes or surfaces, either.
How Mold Takes Hold
If you have water damage in your desert home, such as damage from a burst pipe, washing machine hose, or hot water tank, you can expect to see black mold flourish shortly after the water is wicked away. Even a small amount of standing water can have time to soak the sill plate in a stud wall, soak into the drywall, and be absorbed by any porous materials resting on the floor.
When you engage a company for water damage restoration, a truly professional firm will not only remove all the water, the team members will examine your home or business for signs of mold. Typically, heavy-duty, high-volume fans are directed at the water damaged area for several days. Even in a dry desert climate, a high-quality water restoration company will enlist industrial dehumidifiers to prevent mold from forming.
Ignoring the possibility of mold will not prevent mold from forming. Mold spores are in all air; normally they have no opportunity to take hold and reproduce. They need moisture and undisturbed conditions for several days in order to get a foothold.
Toxic Mold Ailments
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) identify the symptoms that you, your family, or your employees may experience that could indicate you have a toxic mold issue in your home:
- Stuffy nose
- Red or itchy eyes
- Shortness of breath
- Asthma attacks
Unfortunately, sometimes these reactions are the first signs you have that toxic mold has developed in your home. If previously healthy family members start showing respiratory problems, a thorough search of your home is warranted, and you should contact an expert in mold remediation, like EHS Restoration. Please reach out to us today to learn how we can help you recognize and remove signs of mold in your Phoenix home.