- On June 4, 2018
Kitchen fires are the most common reasons we are called in to do fire damage restoration. Fire damage cleaning is something that has to be done right away, or you risk making matters worse. Luckily, kitchen fires are also one of the easiest disasters to avoid with a little knowledge and some forethought. Let’s take a look at some of the biggest causes of kitchen fires and ways you can prevent a majority of them.
Causes of Kitchen Fires
1. Leaving food unattended. Food on the top of the stove is especially dangerous as any liquid can burn down, leaving the pot contents to catch fire. Hot oil can quickly turn to flames.
2. Forgetting cooking items. This happens most often in the evenings when people are tired after a long day. Something is put into the oven to cook, and you sit down to relax and forget you are cooking. Maybe you get involved in watching the news or fall asleep and the food burns.
3. Built up grease – Burners, spilled food in the oven, and the entire stove surface can become covered with a thin layer of grease. Even if the stove looks clean, this grease can be sitting there and may catch fire if it becomes too hot.
4. Kids and pets – Whether they get too close to the stove and bump the controls, turning up the heat, or simply distract you, having kids and pets in the kitchen can cause issues.
Avoiding Kitchen Fires
1. Set timers – This will allow you a reminder in case you get involved in some other activity while cooking.
2. Be prepared – Have a smoke alarm and fire extinguisher handy to help stop fires before they become out of control. Never try putting out a fire with water as this can make it worse.
3. Clean cooking surfaces thoroughly – This not only includes making sure all greasy surfaces are clean but also keep things like dish towels and pot holders away from the cooking surface when there is a flame.
4. Wear proper clothing. Avoid long sleeves that can get too close to a flame. When cooking, try to wear short sleeves whenever possible and avoid any materials that are highly flammable.
If you are facing damage done by a kitchen fire, contact us immediately so we can get you back to cooking as soon as possible. Our trained technicians will come into your home and work quickly and thoroughly to restore any damage that has been done. Our emergency restoration service has earned a reputation for being one of the best fire damage restoration companies in the Phoenix area. Let us show you why today!